040116 rain out man 950x450Jamaica, VA – After six months of waiting for the 2016 season to start, fans and competitors will have to wait another week to get their racing fix as officials at Bill Sawyer’s Virginia Motor Speedway have canceled racing activities for opening night April 2, 2016 due to the wet grounds and continued thunderstorms in the forecast.

“You hate to lose the first race of the season, but with the wet grounds and more rain on the way we felt it best to cancel the event rather than wait till the last minute”, commented track General Manager Clarke Sawyer.

The Speedway will now turn it’s attentions to preparing the ½ mile facility for next Saturday’s (April 9) $20,000 to win Aaron’s King of the Commonwealth. The event is sanctioned by the Ultimate Super Late Model Series and will also include a $3000 to win FASTRAK Racing National Tour event for Pro (Crate) Late Model competitors. This is one event you will not want to miss.

Admission price for adults is only $30, seniors (60+) $25; military (active/retired w/ proper I.D.) $20, students 11 – 17 years old $15 and children 10 and under admitted free. Pit passes will be $40.

16” coolers are welcomed but no glass is allowed. There is plenty of free lit parking and camping (no hookups) is allowed at no charge on a first come first served basis.


  1. Calvin April 2, 2016, 1:30 pm

    Was looking forward to opening night. But good job on canceling early.

  2. Rockets rickard April 2, 2016, 2:03 pm

    The rain will be outa here by 2 pm. You made the call way to early. Thanks for getting off on the right foot. The big boys are who you were interested in anyway. That’s where all the money is.

    • admin April 2, 2016, 2:21 pm

      If you only knew the real finances in a weekly show and a special event. The money is not in the special event. We work extremely hard at getting this place ready to race. If we cancel we still lose money. Our decision has to be made sooner that most tracks. Our drivers come from as far away as a four hour tow and the majority of our fans are over an hour away. This morning we have standing water everywhere and it is still raining. They are calling for rain until 4pm this afternoon. With us scheduled to open up at noon for inspections there would have been no way to get everyone inspected and the extra practice that they normally get. We apologize for having to cancel but we made the right decision and we have received a lot of comments thanking us for thinking of the drivers and fans first.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>